Sunday, May 3, 2009

When I turn 90 I'm going to start drinking again.....


Today was a big day. Although it did not start out so big...or rather, it was supposed to be big in an entirely different way. I was supposed to go to the Spring Valley Pow Wow.....something Rockhounds go to to find cool rocks, evidently, but, due to the inclement weather and the fact that the PowWow was entirely outside, my fellow rockhound and I decided to forgoe aformentioned Pow Wow......I admit it, I am a geek, nerd, whatever. No, I do not collect rocks from a scientific perspective, I collect them merely for their asthetic charm and potential for placement in a piece of jewelry I might craft....but, back to the BIG day.

Since, I did not participate in the Pow Wow (I just like saying/writing that) I was semi obligated to make an appearnce at the 90th Birthday party of my Paternal Grandmother's oldest and dearest friend, since Grammie could not be there herself, Pops and I made an apperance. The honored guest looked good for 90, not to mention she has a heart condition and she's been known to check out in the middle of dinner and pop back up within seconds.....yes, her heart has stopped in the middle of dinner before....and started up again, shortly after. So, you can imagine how fortunate she and her loved ones feel that she's still here kickin' it at 90! She told me today that she'd be sticking around until she is 100....ugh....can't even go there myself.....once I'm required to have a cardiac shock device in my chest to revive me because my heart could possibly stop......oh, wait, I already have one of those....shit......am I 90! Wait, how old am I? Okay, I'm good, I checked my driver's license, only 43.

Whew, thought I might have missed my window, yep, when I'm old, possibly 80 I'm going to start drinking again, red wine I.V.! What brought this on....meeting someone who made it to 90! Actually, aforementioned Grammie had an aunt who made it to 93, so, all these 90 year olds gave me some inspiration. Accept, I don't think I want to live to be that old, that is a LONG time. I don't want to outlive any of my kids, wait, I don't have any kids, whew, dodged that one. Okay, I don't want to outlive any of my Sisters kids, (that works), nor do I want to outlive most of my friends. I want to get to that age when I can start drinking again and me and my 'sista's' can start harrassing the male nurses we are going to hire to care for us when we need walkers and wheel chairs.

Ah, something to look forward to. Because at 80 or 90. who the hell cares if you drink, right? I mean, seriously, what's the worst that could happen? You drop your teeth in your cocktail and you can't slur your words? If you're already using a walker or a wheel chair, no staggering problem, right? And, certainly, at that age someone has taken it upon themselves to tell you you can't drive anymore, right? So, no DUI. Yep, I'm going to start drinking again when I am old.....what else is there to look forward to?
I suppose the cynic in me should see if I can see the glass half full, perhaps living that long has some kind of merit......yep, I will be able to drink again.....
That aside, Grammies oldest and dearest friend is a very sweet 'young' lady and she looked absolutely adorable in the "birthday girl" tiara and sparkly wand I brought for her to wear....Pops and I made small talk and met several of Grammies oldest and dearest friend's family, she was one of 8 kids and her husband was one of 9 kids, so, there were alot of Kin at the party.....we had the obligitory plate of food and then made ourselves scarce. But, I did ponder how old I thought I should be before I started drinking again.....

No comments: