Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mother Nature, showing me about growth.....

I tended to the garden today. I can see the garden from my bedroom window, so, I've been watching it from that vantage point, but, to date had not really spent anytime out there caring for it.  The weather today was kind and the sun was not too hot and a slight breeze kept me cooled off .  I pulled weeds, groomed plants, set tomato plants in baskets, finished setting up the watering system and to my surprise, found a vegetable!  Nestled in the wonder that is a Lemon Cucumber plant (they can get quite crazy) was a young, relatively big cucumber.  Several of the tomato plants actually had tomatoes on them....much to my surprise, as we have not had very much hot weather where I am, which is not normal.  I was afraid the garden was never going to really take off....as it was looking pretty peaked up until about a week ago.

I usually mother my garden quite attentively, but, I have been distracted by my exterior life and have not found the enjoyment in it that I used to....but, that one small, perfect Lemon Cucumber called me back to my desire to nurture. There were some other small encouragements....

The beginnings of a small pumpkin!  Cute, eh?  The garden is a reminder that I must tend to my whole life, not just the parts that are imperative, but, the parts that matter the most, the things that help me grow.  Each part must be nurtured and honored.  Things must be weeded like work that steals from my soul - groomed, like my house, so that I feel at home - watered, like my mind with reading and knowledge - and, honored, like going away to listen to my heart, soul and spirit.  The garden always teaches me lessons, even when I'm not looking.

2 comments:

Mari Mansourian said...

beautiful post and photos :)

julochka said...

plus, it's a wonderful place to think while you're weeding. i find it weeds out my thoughts as well. very cathartic. tho' sometimes i forget too...

love the notion of a lemon cucumber.