Thursday, August 20, 2009

How to discuss Blog Camp with RWP's


"I'm going to Blog Camp in Reno on Labor Day weekend...."

"What's blog camp?"
"Where will you be camping? I've heard Reno has some good camp grounds."

"Blog Camp is a get together between people who've met while blogging on the internet."

"You're going to go meet people you've only chatted with on the internet and stay with them?"
"What are you crazy? You don't even KNOW them, what if they are axe murderers?"

"Well, I'm going to bring my axe repellent and hope for the best....."

"Don't you think that's a little dangerous? Or, ALOT dangerous?"
"Can't you find some 'regular' people to hang out with, here, in town?"
"How do you know you will like them?" "What if they don't like you?"

"I'm not worried, again, I will have my axe repellent, but, more importantly, the details of Blog Camp and what we're going to do there and what's been done at previous Blog Camps is all over the internet, it's not like something bad could happen without the whole world knowing about it. And, I'm not worried about whether or not we'll like each other, we've laughed and cried with each other many times, we are reaching out and taking a risk, which is what humans do, they reach out, hoping to connect....make friends.... (and again, the axe repellent)"

"You mean this happens in other places?"
"People are doing this elsewhere, with success?"

"Yes, I have internet pals, Bleeps, all over the place and we check in on each other's blogs all the time, putting in our two cents, showing the love and praising each other for our accomplishments and encouraging each other when we need it. And, in june a group decided to actually connect in the real world and blog camp together...combining all of their personalities, creative expertise and drinking habits together and see how it would turn out.....it was a success and thus was born, Blog Camp."

"But, WHAT will you do at blog camp?" "Will there be a camp fire, marshmallows, bears, tents, poison ivy?"
"Yea, what will you do? will there be showers, running water and flush toilets?"

"No, no camp fire that I'm aware of and we are staying at another blogger's house, not a camp ground....so, yes, I hope showers, running water and flush toilets. Bloggers are creative types, so, I think we will be, well, blogging, which includes writing and photography, most of the time.....so, perhaps we'll be gadding about the Reno area taking photos and cultivating topics to blog about....not to mention some serious eating and drinking....I hope....but, mostly, we will be connecting....making new friends....going on an adventure....you've heard of adventure haven't you?"

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Heh, yeaaaaah. I know that reaction very well. "Wait... you met her on the internet? That's WEIRD, dude."

Whatevs. Some of my best friends I've met online. Maybe that is weird, but I love them just as much as if I'd met them across the street, so.

I'm so glad you're going, and I can't WAIT to hear all about it!

Brian Miller said...

lol. been hearing a lot about blog camp...you cleared up quite a bit here...when i first started bloggin if you told me i'd know this much about people i never met i would have told you that you were crazy...smiles.

Pat said...

Sounds like a fun time will be had by all! No smores needed!

spudballoo said...

Ooooh you're going to have a BLAST!!! x

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Have a fabulous time - hope we get to hear all about it!

Mari Mansourian said...

i'm sure a good time will be had... enjoy
it looks like i won't make it after all :(...
that's ok there is always next time, can't wait to read all about it
chao
m