Friday, July 17, 2009

My Hero.....a boy in Iraq

I know....he doesn't look like a 'boy'....but, he is. This young man is serving in Iraq right now...and he's ready to come home....and we're ready to have him home. More than ready. I miss him. This is my nephew....an old friend of mine. We were pretty tight when he was a little boy...in fact, kind of inseparable. I remember the day he was born as if it were yesterday, despite the hangover I had.....my sweet nephew was about the only thing that really kept me here on this earth....knowing I'd be leaving him if I did myself in....morbid, but, true. We were such great friends when he was a little boy, but, somewhere along the way, I think I failed him and we lost each other. And, when he was leaving to go away to war, I tried to salvage what there was of our relationship, but, I don't think I did a very good job.I didn't want him to go away to war....I wanted him to rethink his decision and become a man, here, were we all were and where it was safe. I wanted to impose my judgements on him....and he just wanted to go out and prove himself in the most expedient, grand way he could. I knew that was what he was doing and swore to him I'd be just as proud of him if he stayed here and became an auto mechanic, like he (ie; all of his family) planned to do.

I never really had a sense that he would not come back or that he would be harmed physically, however, my heart was aching with what I knew would be the worst emotional pain any person would go through, the loss of someone you loved,...and he lost some of his brothers over there and I did not want that for him, ever. He did in fact grow up while there, but, it seemed like it was a slow process, slower than I assumed it would be....I think he was trying to hold out as long as he could....still be a kid when he could. He says he's angry now and that he gets belligerent....I told him that I believed in his heart and that it is a good and beautiful heart...and that over time, his heart would heal and he could let go of the anger and move on....he said he hoped I was right....he's on his way home for leave....he arrives on August 4th...we have a lot of catching up to do....we've been IM'ing....and becoming friends again....he assures me we were always friends, but, I know I let him down, I wasn't mature enough to be both cool and still be his aunt....I tried, but, again, not mature enough to be both....

When he was little, I was really just beginning my 'photography' passion and he used to follow me around and ask to use my camera. Kid you not, this little munchkin would run my old pentax k1000....when he was like 4 and 5 years old....now, he's an amazing photographer in his own right....he has mad editing skills and a great eye... he makes me jealous of his talent, but, maybe I'm biased ;-). I hope he will be able to use his art to heal himself....I pray he will....

3 comments:

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

What a lucky young man - to be so loved.

darsden said...

A wonderful tribute to a Man serving my country for me. How I appreciate each and every service member. We are still free because of them, current and past. I stand humbled in front of him and all the others.

christina said...

What a a beautiful post filled with love and truth.
We appreciate him. Thank him for all his has given our country.
; )
PS: When you get time can you email me your snail mail addy? You have won the little giveaway, on my blog.
xo