Wednesday, July 22, 2009

So, she thinks she's a jeweler

Last year, during my year of grieving, I went to jeweler's school. There is a previous blog about how I ended up there....this blog is about some of my jewelery. Why? Because the niece and I finished up some new pieces today and I wanted to, well, blow my horn - (I'm trying to think of how to spell the sound of a horn blowing, nothings coming to me though.)

Hearts are a part of my life...for years I thought they were juvenile, you know, things with little hearts on them were just girly and for little kids, but, after my last heart surgery, I just embraced them. Now, they permeate everything, materially, physically and metaphorically and they also come out in my jewelery making, as evidenced by this little grouping. These hearts are a collaboration with my Nephew, based on a ink drawing he did for me whilst I was recovering from my last surgery.
This is the drawing he did for me....he framed it and it sits on my nightstand, reminding me of him and His heart. This small piece of art inspired me and my signature necklace that I wear all the time. After I had acquired the necessary skills and knowledge, I went to work putting together the 'repaired hearts' you see above. Two weeks ago, my niece asked me if she could have one of the necklaces, I told her yes, but, she would need to make her own. Today, we finished hers and now we both have Anthony's heart near to ours!

7 comments:

darsden said...

Oh my I love the hearts and now where can I get one of those that have been put together. Wow, I am sorry to hear about your last year..I don't know what happened but I can tell it was extremely serious and I am sorry. The jewelry reflects the pain and is awesome!

An Open Heart said...

Dar,
Thank you for your interest....I'll email you on your site. The jewelery is both a reflection of my repaired physical heart and my repaired metaphorical heart...all is good, since the 'repairs'!
S

Daryl said...

You don't just THINK you are a jeweler, you ARE one! Those are stunning and evoke strong emotion. Are any for sale?
Daryl in Maine

An Open Heart said...

Why yes, Daryl, you can purchase a 'repaired heart' by special order....I'll email you.

Lollie said...

Your HEARTS are lovely. They are intriguing and thought provoking. I have very much enjoyed reading your blog.
Cheers to New Beginnings!

Liz Fulcher, The Fragrant Muse said...

Oh your hearts are lovely! They say so much. So glad to have found your blog.

christina said...

These are just beautiful! I heart them. : )
xo