Saturday, September 12, 2009

The fog comes on little cat feet.


It sits looking over harbor and city on silent haunches and then moves on.
Carl Sandburg missed it by a little....the fog that we saw today....did not move on.

The fog shrouded the day.....roomie and i were both on a personal quest....mine, for the feeling of the pull of the tide, the power of the waves, I just needed some ocean energy, roomie, too, but, for different reasons. I love the smell of the ocean in the air, even pacific coast fog has a certain kind of appeal for me.

At our first beach stop we encountered Jake, a kid who just took a tumble through a wave and dislocated his knee - we called 911 for him and waited for the E.M.T.s to arrive....



We moved on....heading for the wildlife preserve I had it in my head would net us some fabulous pictures of starfish and sea urchins, shells and the like...but, first we stopped at the Pt. Montara Lighthouse...



We enjoyed the overlook

and then headed to the preserve - we arrived long after low tide and missed our opportunity, but, I did get some fun photos......

I'll be calling this one, "Pacific Ocean Salad"......the delightful seaweed we have and I managed to get a shot of this little guy....(I'm not sure he was really little)

And, then, later, this little guy (teee heeee heeee)


It felt like melancholy followed us all day....I guess the fog can do that. My purpose for going to the ocean was to harness some of her energy and I feel like I did, however, I also feel like maybe I brought some fog home with me....it's not like I can't create my own fog.....sheesh.....maybe I hoped for too much.....I'm SURE the ocean and the SUN would have infused me differently. Ironically, the sound of our weather turning is wafting through my bedroom window tonight and if I close my eyes I can almost make the sound of the trees rustling sound like the ocean waves breaking the shore. Ah, how much I long for the beach and the ocean....

Peace

10 comments:

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Open Heart:

A lovely post laced with introspection, wonder and humour. I loved the picture of the seal. That eye!

Just be with the fog. Like emotions it eventually lifts.

Brian Miller said...

there is a certain rhythmic comfort in the crashing ocean waves...an eclectic day as well...fun. may you find yor way in the fog.

rxBambi said...

What great pictures. This was really a lovely post, good to read on a lazy sunday morning.
I love that little guy, he's a cutie.

darsden said...

Awesome pictures and how great was it that you were able to help the sufer that was hurt. The Fog rolling in on the water I understand that one that happens here a lot in the winter and it brings me down. Sorry it was sunny that day because it probably would have spun it some. The seasons are changing summer always makes me sad when it leaves but it's also mean no more storms soon...hope fully none this season at all. (Except the enduring rain storms we keep having)
I love the little seal dude great capture! I love the light house and the history or years it has endured.

Dayne Gingrich said...

"...finally living a life not lived..."

Love that! Keep taking action towards that life you're searching for. The best part: There may never be a finish line, meaning you'll be able to experience the wonderful journey... over and over again!

Can't ask for more than that!

When you have a moment, I'd love to hear what you think of my thoughts ~ I write about that journey (through our mindset we choose).

www.coachyourmind.blogspot.com

I'll be following. Can't wait to read more.

-Dayne

Mike said...

The Atlantic is such a different beast. The Pacific seems to have a coldness to it that the Atlantic does not. I don't think that I ever can remember a fog coming in off the east coast, at least where I have lived. Just Hurricanes!

Dayne Gingrich said...

Thanks for the visit. My email is dgingo@cox.net. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dayne

christina said...

These photos, are stunning! And the not so little guy, is ADORABLE!!
Oh, yes he is.
xoxo

Pat said...

Beautiful pictures. And really, your reason for being on the beach at that moment? To help the poor surfer guy. Even though it was foggy, just smelling the ocean air and hearing the waves had to lift your spirits!

Se'lah said...

what a great mood evoked by these photos. stunning.